Thursday, July 2, 2009

Running a new race...sort of

It's been a while since I've posted last. It isn't because I haven't had much to contribute. Truth is, I've had plenty to talk about, I just wasn't ready to discuss...

I'm pregnant with our second child. This is an exciting time and a hard time because I can't run at all. My previous pregnancy with our son was difficult and my doctor doesn't want me running at all during this pregnancy. I actually was running for the first 6 weeks until he told me not to :(

But I know it's only temporary. In fact, I've already started making plans as to what I'll be training for once the baby comes.

My most memorable races are the ones I did right after the birth of my son. They aren't memorable because I PR'd or anything. It was just an opportunity for me to revel in all my body could accomplish. To get philosophical, I was really enamored by the fact that I could carry a baby, be on bed rest for 3 months (I told you it was difficult), give birth, care for an infant, then train and complete a 10-miler and half marathon all within a year's time. I certainly couldn't have done it without my wonderful husband, but it's nice to know my body can do all that.

And now it's getting ready to do it again. I'm not trying to say I'm so great and look at what I can do. I'm just really impressed at the strength of the human body and what it can accomplish when you really work at it. I tell my clients that when they're feeling down about being injured or having a tough time getting through workouts. Your body will do it. You just have to relax and let it.

Anyway, I am officially on the bench for the next few months. But I'm still coaching so there will be plenty of musings about the trials and tribulations of my clients.

Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment