Sunday, February 7, 2010

First Race of Many


Next Saturday I'm running the Myrtle Beach Marathon. I'm super excited.

I'm using this race as a training run for my 50K. So, I have no expectations. No time goals. No pressure. This is for fun, if you can believe it. With this as my 8th marathon, I just want to have a good time. I've never been to Myrtle Beach before and I figured this would be a great way to see the city! I've heard great things about the race. My husband is doing the half marathon and his cousin and his wife are also doing the half. We're going to have a blast.

I really think, as runners, we have to have races that are for pure fun. Sure, we need to race to test ourselves, measure our fitness, get experience, etc. But we also need to have fun. We need to race for the pure pleasure of running. Of being part of the atmosphere. I love the race atmosphere. Being among sometimes thousands of others that have the same interests and passions I do is electric to me. It makes me feel alive.

Sign up for a race just for the heck of it. Don't set any time goals for yourself. Don't put any pressure on yourself. Just run it because you can. Enjoy yourself. It will recharge you, it will recharge your running.

No comments:

Post a Comment