Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Resignation is OK

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
~Tom Bodett

I saw this quote on Facebook this morning. It speaks volumes to me. Last month my family and I moved across the country to San Diego. It's a huge move for a one person, let alone 2 adults, a 5-year old, 5-month old twins and a dog. And because it's been such a whirlwind, my running has taken a backseat to everything else. In fact, it's not even in the car with me right now.

I have been tested many times in life, as most of us are. I didn't expect this move to affect me the way it has. I have had a lot of trouble finding my way. We're still adjusting to being a family of 5 and dealing with infants, and now we're doing it in a new place without any friends and family. All on top of getting acquainted to a new place with new jobs, new school, new house, etc. It has really taken a toll on me, affecting me sleep and other aspects of life.

I had been really down on myself because I wasn't able to run as much as I would like. I have a few races I should be training for (see below posts) and I really need to get a move on. The coach in me was getting on my case :) But I had to tell her to back off. I had to take the pressure off myself because it was eating away at me. I decided to take some time off running to focus on just getting the house in order and the family settled, instead of trying to do all of that and train as well. We needed to establish our new routine and now that we have, I can start to fill in my workouts.

That was the lesson I learned. I had to resign to the fact that life is just up in the air right now and it's ok to take a moment to get it in order. And you don't have to have a huge life change (like having twins and moving across the country!) in order to feel out of control. But when you do, remember that is your current test. Remember what works for you, what makes you feel in control, and do it. For me, I have to get in order. I have to mark things off my to-do list. Now that I have, I can breathe a little easier. And get back to what makes me happy: running.

Think back to when you have been truly tested in life. How did you get through it? What made you feel in control? The next time you are feeling out of control, go back to that time and do what makes you feel in control. Tell yourself you've gotten through tough circumstances before and you will again. And if it's not working for you, ask for help. Never be afraid to ask for help.

Happy running!

And since this post was inspired by Facebook, you can find me on Facebook here.

No comments:

Post a Comment