Sunday, March 24, 2013

Hot Chocolate 5K and 15K

And just like that, another program has ended.

It is such a bittersweet moment for me when a program ends. On the one hand, I'm a proud mama bird watching my little birdies fly off on their own, accomplishing goals and kicking some major butt. But on the other hand, I'm sad to see my birdies go. Every program of mine allows me to meet new people and get a glimpse into what makes them tick, what is important to them and what they are ultimately striving for. The running programs definitely become more than just reaching a new fitness goal. Whether my program participants realize it or not, accomplishing a physical goal changes you emotionally too. They are never entirely the same when the program ends. I feel so incredibly honored to be a part of it.

So when the Hot Chocolate 5K and 15K kicked off this morning shortly after sunrise, I watched my little birds fly out of the nest. And when the last of my runners crossed the finish line, our program officially ended. Everything we talked about and worked on for the last 10 weeks all culminated in this one single event. All the juggling of schedules, lacing of shoes and logging of miles came together in this wonderful victory lap.

Finishing a race is never just about finishing a race. It's about sacrifice, compromise, understanding our limitations and pushing through them. Whether your race is 3 miles or 300 miles, setting the initial goal to run it takes courage. Following through to completion takes dedication. And the person that sees that goal to completion is never the same as the one setting the initial goal. Now that you've met your goals, my dear runners, be proud of the people you became along the way. Your dedication is an inspiration to me and others. Wherever your running careers take you, know that you can do anything you set your mind to!




No comments:

Post a Comment