Saturday, April 6, 2013

Smoothie Queen

Smoothies are big right now. Perhaps it's because more people are looking for easy ways to get more nutritious foods into their diet. Perhaps it's because they are quick meals you can make and take on the go. Maybe they just taste good. Smoothies should definitely be a part of your nutrition plan. They are quick, easy, tasty and can be packed full of nutrients you may not otherwise be eating.

I'm not really a regular smoothie person. I make them occasionally to change things up, but for the most part I like to eat my meals. But every now and then I get on a kick and make them each morning for the family, just to make sure everyone is getting at least something nutritious to start their day :) Right now, I would say I'm on a big smoothie kick. And it happended by chance.

It all started with Al Green. As a job requirement, I spend a large portion of my day perusing nutrition blogs, articles and more to see what the latest research suggests about the latest "superfoods" and what they can do for our health. While most of it is bogus, there is the occasional gem that I'll incorporate into my own diet first, then possibly recommend to clients. As i was reading through some recipes, I misread a recipe for an All Green Smoothie as an "Al Green" smoothie. I thought to myself that it must be a smooth and sexy smoothie if it's named after Al Green. But, alas, I was mistaken. So I took it upon myself to make my own Al Green smoothie. And it was sexy and smooth, I must say. I posted it on Facebook and got a pretty hilarious response from my friends, and a few requests for other smoothies inspired by favorite people. Here is what I've come up with so far:

The Al Green

Photo source: http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2012/02/24/algreen_wide-1859c7e02eb9c661302371127ea16d32559b63ea-s6-c10.jpg
Al Green is known for being a sexy, soulful singer. This smoothie had to be rich and velvety smooth, just like his voice, without being too sweet. The banana and avocado add a nice, rich, velvety texture without it being too thick. The next time you want a tall glass of Al Green, make this smoothie! 



 
2 cups almond milk, unsweetened vanilla
1 banana
1 avocado
2 cups frozen berries (I used strawberries, raspberries and blackberries)
4 tbs raw cacao powder
2 tbs raw chia seeds

Blend together until the smooth, silky texture meets your desire.
Serves 2, because you can't have an Al Green alone. Serve to the one you love and he or she will be singing "Let's Stay Together" all day.

In addition to the velvety rich taste of the Al Green, this smoothie is loaded with healthy nutrients such as Vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, protein, fiber and healthy fats. Thanks to Al Green, you’ll stay together a long time :)



The Carrie Underwood

Photo source: http://www.carrieunderwoodofficial.com/sites/cunderwood/files/imagecache/discography_large/albums/carrie-underwood-blown-away-album-cover_0.jpg
This one is for my friend Steve who sarcastically requested it after the Al Green was born. Though I think he secretly loves Carrie Underwood. This recipe had to represent Carrie's sweet side, as well as her sass. Some cayenne definitely does the trick. 



 






 
1 cup almond milk, unsweetened vanilla
1 banana
2 cups fresh strawberries (can use frozen)
2 clementines
1 medium carrot
1 cup ice (omit if using frozen strawberries)
4 tbs hemp protein powder
1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper

Blend everything but the hemp protein and cayenne until you reach the consistency you like. Add the hemp protein and cayenne and blend until smooth, spicy goodness appears. She may be sweet, but Carrie Underwood packs a kick, and you will too after you have this smoothie. 



The Idris Elba

Photo source: http://worldofblackheroes.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/idris-elba-5.jpg
This one is for my friend Adina who swoons over Idris. I have to admit, I didn't know who this was. I did a little research and learned that while he grew up in London, both his parents are from Africa. In addition, he's best known for playing tough dudes like gangsters and drug lords. So I needed to create something that represented his background while being strong and sexy, with a sweet side...but not too sweet.






1 cup coconut milk, vanilla
1 banana
2 tbs cacao powder
1/3 cup hemp seeds
1/2 cup raspberries (I used fresh, but you can use frozen)
1 cup ice (omit if using frozen berries)
 


Blend everything together and enjoy this silky and satisfying smoothie. I have to say, this one's my favorite so far :)
  

It's been fun creating these healthy inspirations. I have more requests, so stay tuned for some other recipes. And feel free to request a smoothie version of your favorite somebody, famous or not.  

1 comment:

  1. This is one of the best blogs ever! These sound delicious but, admittedly, I'm partial to The Carrie Underwood smoothie. She might be an American Idol, but if there were a Coaching and Nutrition Idol, you'd be America's favorite.

    ReplyDelete