Thursday, March 27, 2014

Roasted Fennel and Carrot Soup

Tuesdays are our pick-up days for our CSA, Be Wise Ranch. We love Be Wise! All organic, great variety and pick up is down the street. There are always so many wonderful veggies each week that I would never buy myself in the grocery store. It forces us to eat things we wouldn't normally and we are always pleasantly surprised.

For several weeks, fennel has been in our box. Frankly, I never know what to do with fennel. It's an acquired taste and one that doesn't always go with other flavors. Think licorice. And a lot of the recipes I've tried haven't exactly been the most delectable. Until now.

This week in our box, the CSA provided a recipe (which they often do) for roasted fennel and carrot soup. They got it from Eat Drink Garden with Valerie Rice. I figured this would be a different way to have the fennel. And it's been kind of chilly here, so it's definitely soup weather.








Let's just say I could eat the entire pot of this soup. I mean, really. It's that good. I didn't even add some of the ingredients because the roasted fennel and carrots had so much flavor. But I'll include those ingredients for you to decide on your own :) And I did modify the amounts a little and used some different ingredients, but it's basically the same recipe.

Roasted Fennel and Carrot Soup
serves 6 (or one Jenn)

8 large carrots, diced large (I don't peel carrots as there are a lot of nutrients in the peel. Just scrub well)
4 fennel bulbs, diced large
1 tbs onion powder (I didn't have an onion, but use an onion if you have it)
2 tsp sea salt, divided
2 tbs coconut oil, divided
4 cups water
Cracked pepper (I didn't use this)
2 tbs honey (I didn't use this)
1-2 tbs lime juice (I didn't use this)

I garnished with avocado and hemp seeds for added healthy fats and protein.

Preheat the oven to 375. Place the carrots on a baking sheet. Coat in 1 tbs coconut oil, 1 tsp salt and one crack of pepper if you're using. On another baking sheet, place the fennel and onion if you're using one. Coat with the remaining coconut oil, salt and a crack of pepper if you're using. Roast for 40-45 mins.

Take the veggies out of the oven and let cool slightly. Add 4 cups of water to your blender (a Vitamix or other high-speed blender works best) or food processor. Add the veggies and onion powder if you didn't roast an onion and puree until smooth and creamy. Add more water if you like your soup a little thinner.

Pour the soup into a medium saucepan. Add the honey and lime juice if you're using. Bring the soup to a boil and let it simmer until it's warmed through. Serve with garnishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment