Sunday, May 11, 2014

Race Day is the Best Day

I've said before and I'll say it again: I love my job!

There are few people in this world that truly love what they do. Yes, I get to run for a living and that's all fine and good. But it's the connections with people from all walks of life that really does it for me. Running is the great connector, the common ground for so many people. I am so very honored that people choose to share their experiences, goals and accomplishments with me. It's a privilege to be a part of that experience and to have the trust of my runners to help them reach their goals. When I see them cross a finish line, either in person or virtually, it's my accomplishment too. When they reach their goals, they're my goals too. They're my little chickadees and when they find their wings and soar, it's a beautiful thing.

This past May 10th was the goal race for my spring running programs. The Girls on the Go 5K, 10K and Half Marathon in Mission Bay was the backdrop for a truly amazing day. Over the past 12 weeks, these runners found the time to train, often juggling jobs, babysitters, traveling and more. They worked so hard and with every run got that much closer to reaching their goals. For most of them, the race was to be their first 5K, 10K or half marathon, respectively. Regardless of it being the first for 50th, it was a big deal for all of them. There's no such thing as a throwaway race.

The weather was great: chilly at the start, mostly overcast and little wind. Though my half marathoners did get some higher temperatures and humidity as the race went on. You wouldn't know it was difficult for any of them, though. They all performed so well! All my runners did an absolutely fabulous job. I had tears in my eyes and goosebumps on my skin all morning.

I'm always sad when a program ends. It's bittersweet, really. I'm so happy at all everyone has accomplished. I'm a proud mama seeing all her babies leave the nest. But I'm sad that I won't be seeing them as regularly as I was. I know I'll see them all again and we'll run together often. But a running program and the participants are always special to me. We become friends and a little team, working together for a common goal. I love these kids and I'll miss them!

The 5K and 10K runners kicked some major booty!
The half marathoners were just so impressive. They did such
an amazing job! So proud of everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment