Friday, February 20, 2015

Swiss Chard Roll Ups with Garlic White Bean Spread

I was on Pinterest this morning, which is something I never do anymore. Pinterest kind of overwhelms me. There is way too much good stuff on there and I get sidetracked way too easily. Let's face it, I like sparkly things (literally and figuratively). Before I know it, it's 3am, I'm sweating, my eyes are bugging out of my head and I need to go to bed.

This morning was just a quick romp through Pinterest because after I came across the blog Fork and Beans, I didn't go any further. Technically, I came across their recipe for fresh collard green wraps. Instantly I knew what I would be having for lunch.

I actually didn't have any collards, but I did have Swiss Chard. Swiss Chard is another dark green leafy vegetable that's high in many vitamins, minerals, fiber, anti-oxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties. You can use it like any other leafy green. Though, I get bored with just sautéing greens or adding them to soups, salads and casseroles. Making roll ups is so simple and since I had most of the ingredients for this recipe, or at least some variation of them, I could go with it. Instead of hummus, I made a garlic white bean spread. I actually didn't have any cooked garbanzo beans or tahini, so I improvised with white beans.



White Bean Spread

2 cups cooked white beans or 1 can cooked white beans, drained and rinsed
3 cloves garlic
2 lemons, juiced
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 tsp sea salt (I actually didn't measure this)

Add the oil and lemon juice to your high speed blender or food processor. Add the salt, beans and garlic. Blend until smooth.

For the roll ups, I removed the thick stems from the chard and kept the large leaves in tact. I cut carrot sticks and red pepper strips. Taking one leaf, I took one spoonful of white bean spread and drizzled it along the length of the leaf. I placed the carrots and peppers at one end of the leaf and rolled it up into a little burrito-like roll.

This is such a great way to get your veggies that is not as boring as a salad (my usual lunch). And my girls were in the kitchen with me and loved how fun it looked making the roll ups, so they got in on the fun too. The white bean spread was a little too garlic-y for them but otherwise they loved the roll ups. This is a great way to get kids involved with their meals and maybe even eat a vegetable or two along the way :)


5 comments:

  1. Sounds YUM! Hmm..good lenten lunch idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! I've experimented with chard roll-ups in the past, but I the leaves didn't 'roll' too well, kind of broke and fell apart. Not sure what the solution is. But you've inspired me to try again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad to have inspired you to try again. These leaves were really large which helped in the rolling up. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. This looks yummy and super easy to make! I might try this out pretty soon!

    ReplyDelete