Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Tuesday on the Run: Favorite Post-race Foods!

Bagels, bananas, chocolate milk, beer, pizza...these are some of the items you'll see in the post-race food area once you've crossed the finish line. A lot of times these foods are really dependent on the sponsors of the race and what organizers can get on the cheap. Some items are great, some not-so-great. In my race dreamland, here are the things I would love to eat after a race. Thankfully, many races have these items now and I am truly grateful. There is nothing like going all out in a race and having your favorites at the end. If you're here from the Tuesdays on the Run link up hosted by My No-Guilt Life, MCM Mama Runs and Run the Great Wide Somewhere, welcome!

Coconut Water. Coconut water is definitely an acquired taste. I don't actually love it, but I do love what it does for my body. Coconut water is a great blend of sugar (though less than what you'll find in sports drinks) and electrolytes such as sodium, potassium and magnesium. It helps hydrate you and balance your electrolytes. This can help prevent post-race soreness. I'm not a huge fan of the coconut drinks with added things, such as protein. That's a little more processing than I'd like. Give me just the good, old fashioned coconut water and I'm happy.

Fruit. Fruit is a great post-race food because it's a great source of easily digestible carbs to help replace what you just used to power your race. Fruits are also high in antioxidants which can help with inflammation and help speed your recovery. My favorites are bananas, oranges and watermelon but I also love berries. I'm not a huge fan of apples or pears because they're a little hard on my stomach after a race. But fruit is light, juicy and cold, so it's really refreshing after a race.

Hummus and Tomatoes. I know this sounds odd. It is odd. But a few years ago friends and I did the Zooma Annapolis race and one of the items they had was a little single-serve hummus with cherry tomatoes. It was a horribly hot and humid day and for some reason that hummus and tomatoes really hit the spot. Just the right amount of carbs and protein plus it was cold and refreshing.

Pumpkin Bread. Ok, this one is a little specific to the race we just did over the weekend. We did the Phoenix Marathon and it was my job to make sure everyone finished! It was a tough race for one of my friends and we were out there a little longer than I expected. Needless to say, I was starving at the end. At the end of the race, there was a local bakery called Kneaders with breads and muffins. Their pumpkin bread was to die for. It was light and delicious and not super dense, so it didn't sit like a rock in my stomach. After scarfing down several pieces, I had to leave the table or I would have eaten the entire loaf of bread. But after a few minutes, I needed more. I went back to the table just in time as they were giving away entire loaves of pumpkin bread. It was my lucky day as I was able to snag one right before they ran out! YUM! My kids and I have since eaten almost the entire loaf as a snack. In one morning. Oh well. I have to see if they can ship me more!

Sandwiches. After the Noble Canyon 50K, they had subs for all the finishers. They did this after the Griffith Park Trail Marathon as well since Whole Foods was a sponsor. There were cold cut sandwiches as well as veggie sandwiches. Honestly, there's something really comforting about eating a big sub after a long, hard effort. The bread and veggies are really yummy and exactly what I feel like eating.

After I'm home from a race and my hunger fully sets in, I'm a little less discriminating with my food choices. The longer the race, the larger my appetite. Lately, my later-post-race food cravings have been noodle-related. I love diving into a huge bowl of some noodle concoction such as Lo Mein, Pad Thai, Drunken Noodles, whatever. The saltier and noodlier the better :)

What are some foods you LOVE after a race? Do you like the traditional bagels and bananas or are there more unusual items that you're craving post-race? What about later in the day? What do you crave the most?  

23 comments:

  1. Sorry I made you stay out longer. Asthma attack and all. 😜. Noodles and Bloody Mary's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No apologies necessary. I was there for you! I was just hungrier than usual. Don't normally eat entire loaves of bread after a race!

      Delete
  2. Mmmm pumpkin bread!!! I have to make some more ;) Thanks for the delicious reminder! Slather some coconut butter on a slice or two... Or 10. AH HA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG it was so good. Melt in your mouth kinda good. I would try to replicate but I think I'd just be disappointed :(

      Delete
  3. Hmm..I have never tried coconut water. I will have to try some just after some of my training runs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely an acquired taste. They do have flavored waters, like chocolate or pineapple. You may love it. You may not, but it's really good for you. You can use it as the liquid base for your smoothies too.

      Delete
  4. Right after a race, I usually go for chocolate milk and cookies. The cookies aren't the healthiest but I figure it's okay after racing. Later in the day, I usually want guac and/or a burger. Nom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't have chocolate milk because dairy isn't my friend. But I would definitely head straight for cookies! And I am with you on the burger. Sometimes I just need to have it :)

      Delete
  5. After a race, I usually go for chocolate milk and a cookie. Not the healthiest, but I figure it's okay after a race! Later in the day, I usually crave guac and/or a burger. Nom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always seem to crave noodles wen I'm training hard or after a race too! Pho is usually my top choice even though it's insanely high in sodium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's precisely the sodium that make us want the noodles!! I sweat a lot when I run, so I'm only replenishing what I've sweat out ;)

      Delete
  7. After a long race and when I can stomach food again post race, I crave a really delicious cheeseburger and some salty fries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the only thing that will fill me up is a burger! And I agree, I can't eat a ton after a race or hard long run. But afterwards is a different story ;)

      Delete
  8. I want all those things. Right now. But especially that pumpkin bread! I hear you on the subs though - that's why there is a lot of subway in my life when I'm racing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, something about a cold sandwich just hits the spot.

      Delete
  9. The pumpkin bread sounds delicious. I can eat whatever is being served after a race and have seen just about everything. I do appreciate the unusual. Red Beans & Rice, Gumbo, Chili...they all sound heavy but they did the job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't recall anything too unusual, though at the Phoenix race this past weekend, they did have Famous Dave's BBQ sandwiches. I was too busy stuffing my face with pumpkin bread to go over there :)

      Delete
  10. We have a local 4th of July race that has truckloads of watermelons after the race. Some are given out as age group awards, but most are sliced and given out to the runners. They are PERFECT after a race on such a hot day! Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds great!! I haven't done a 4th of July race here in CA but back in Maryland, the race we always did had pizza. It would have been better with watermelon!

      Delete
  11. I'm not a fan of Power aid any other time but after a long race I could down three of them right away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't do Poweraid or any of those drinks. They rip my stomach apart. I think that's why I'm all about the coconut water.

      Delete
  12. ...I want all of these things in my life right now. :O All of it sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's why I'm constantly running races...I need to eat all of these things!

      Delete