Monday, December 7, 2015

Let's go to the EXPO!

This week I'm linking up with the Tuesdays on the Run blog link up. The topic we're discussing is how we feel about race expos. To be perfectly honest, I have a love-hate relationship with them.

Before I continue, the Tuesdays on the Run blog link up is with My No-Guilt LifeMCM Mama Runs and Marcia's Healthy Slice. When you're done reading here, go check them out!

Now, back to race expos. When I first started running big races, the expo was the best thing ever. With so many new products to look at and try, foods to sample and really nice people to meet (even racing and running celebrities), sometimes the expo was better than the race itself. I loved expos! I even worked the Marine Corps Marathon expo a couple of times, which was a lot of fun. But then the races got bigger and the expos got insane. Honestly, it became too overwhelming for me to go to the expo and I would do my best to get in and out as fast as possible (that's the hate part of the love-hate relationship). One of my favorite things about running trail races and ultras is that there is no expo. You check in race morning, get your bib, shirt and any items from race sponsors and that's it. Much less anxiety for me.

I will say one thing - for some reason I enjoy the Rock n Roll expos. I usually do these races with friends so we go to the expo together, which is always fun. This past year, I met my dear friends Steve and Tish in Nashville to run the RnR Nashville Half Marathon. We had a blast at the expo, which wasn't too incredibly crowded, or too large. We stopped at many of the booths, participated in raffles and contests and just basically had a blast. In general, we really loved Nashville. From our experience with the race (good except it was hard to find each other at the end) to the great restaurants and shops, it's a great city. I would definitely go back to visit Nashville, even without a race!
Goofing off in Nashville with Steve and Tish.
Doesn't Steve look thrilled? :) 

I had a great experience with the Rock n Roll San Diego expo this year too. Whenever I've done this race, I go to the expo on the Friday. I always have my twins with me since they don't have preschool on Fridays. This year we went with two friends. We got there early enough that it wasn't crowded at all and there were very short lines in the most crowded places. We got in and out fairly quickly, which made it pretty enjoyable. While I haven't done every RnR race, I've done my fair share and I would say these expos are worth the time to walk through. My other favorite expos have been NYC Marathon, Chicago Marathon and Marine Corps. Even though they're big races with big expos, they have never been too overwhelming for me. It's the races that have big expos but in too-small a place that I don't care for. A couple of Washington, DC races have this problem (Army Ten Miler is one).

Cindy and Maria ready to Rock n Roll!


How do you feel about race expos? Take em or leave em? Or LOVE them? Do you have a favorite?

12 comments:

  1. I feel like the same way. There are some great expos out there and I loved them when I first started racing but now since I have done so many they seem to be all the same. It is nice seeing different vendors at certain ones. But the big ones can be a bit overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they all seem the same after a while. Same vendors, same products, etc. It's always fun until it's not!

      Delete
  2. Leave 'em..please and thank you!

    I just can't get into them btu maybe if i went with friends it would be more fun.

    Cute RnR pic!
    -Tamieka@fitballingrunningmom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you've been to one expo, you've pretty much been to them all.

      Delete
  3. I love Expos! Buy all the stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to shop. I don't do large races too often so often I don't even get the opportunity.

    I love to try stuff, too!

    And I like the speakers at the big ones.

    RnR Vegas was definitely my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked RnR Vegas too. They definitely put on a good expo.

      Delete
  5. That Steve guy--he's a handful. Anyway, I've been to a fair number of expos, too, and I used to spend a lot more time walking around and browsing and buying a thing or two. But, sometimes they are way too crowded for me and it becomes a less enjoyable experience. I love the RnR expos! I take advantage of them to find a throwaway shell jacket or pants, or mittens. You can't ever have enough throwaway stuff! I don't typically buy shirts or shorts or jackets there now unless they are so cool that I can't resist. But the expos are perfect for taking pics, since everyone is kind of excited about the race and in great moods. So, while I don't have a love-*hate relationship with them, I do have an idea of what I might be looking for and when I'm ready to leave it needs to be fast. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that Steve guy is a true character! ;)

      I think expos are a necessary evil. They can be fun when with friends but once it's crowded, it's time to go.

      Delete
  6. Depends on the race. The Chicago marathon expo is AMAZING. I wanted to spend all the money. Other expos are kind of meh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, next to New York, Chicago is my favorite. I never really felt overwhelmed because it's in a large enough space that it never got too crowded. At least while we were there.

      Delete