Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Running Gear: Oldies But Goodies

Photo courtesy of Sneaker Freaker
I cannot believe I'm about to admit this, but I've been running for almost 30 years. I started running when I was in the 7th grade, when I was 12. I joined the track team after the coach found me and asked me to join. My older brother ran for him and he was hoping I had the same sprinting prowess. We were related, after all. I can still remember that day when we talked and I was so apprehensive because I didn't want to be known as my brother's little sister on the team. Well, I wasn't. There was a little of that when I was in high school, but that first season in middle school had no comparisons between us (what a great coach, right?). I was hooked after that first season. I loved being a part of the team but yet still running my own races. I loved the relays the best. And yes, I was a sprinter though I started moving towards middle distance as I got older. I ran all through middle school and high school. And while I decided not to run for my college teams, I continued running through college and beyond. I didn't run as consistently as I do now, but running has always been an important part of my life. So, when the topic for this week's Tuesdays on the Run blog link up was running gear oldies but goodies, I couldn't help but think back to my very first pair of running shoes: the Nike Pegasus.

Before I continue, the Tuesdays on the Run blog link up is with My No-Guilt LifeMCM Mama Runs and Marcia's Healthy Slice. When you're done reading here, go check them out!

Ah, those Nike Pegasus. I loved that pair of shoes. Of course, I was 12 and didn't know any better. I just picked the shoe that was cute and fit me. I realize now, looking at that picture, the 1987 Nike Pegasus wasn't exactly the cutest but I don't remember having many other options to choose from. They were very soft and cushy and I just felt like I was running on air. This is going to sound super dorky but I think those shoes just made me feel good about what I was doing. Up to that point, I didn't really have anything outside of school and friends. I did gymnastics for a little while but I wasn't in love with it. But with running, I felt comfortable. I felt like it was something I was good at and really enjoyed. I met totally new people and kinda felt like I had found my people. All in my fluffy Nike Pegasus running shoes. They were the key to the door that opened a whole new world to me. And here we are, almost 30 years later, still going strong.

Sadly, my magic shoes didn't last much past that first season on the track team. My feet were still growing and the Nike shape didn't fit my foot very well anymore. I was crushed, to say the least. I held onto them and ultimately gave them to a friend on the team the following year who couldn't really afford new shoes. She got good use out of them until she could get new ones and I felt good knowing my shoes were helping someone else find their way.

As my running career blossomed, I became an Asics girl and was for most of my time as a runner until only just a few years ago. Now I'm an Altra girl but I still think fondly of those first pair of shoes that paved the way for me.

What oldie-but-goodie running gear would you buy again? I actually found a pair on eBay but I don't think they'll live up to my memories. What fond memories do you have with your old running gear?

10 comments:

  1. I well remember that shoe! My first running shoes were Nike as well. Bright yellow Lady Waffle Trainers (how's that for a name?) circa 1979. Oh how I loved them! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That is quite the name! Glad the names of shoes have evolved somewhat. Though there are still some crazy ones out there.

      Delete
  2. When I first started running. I would buy a pair for the looks. But I never ran distance until a few yrs ago.Luckily there are plenty of shoes now that compromise between looking stylish and still have a great fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad companies have caught on that we like some fashion with our function!!

      Delete
  3. I've been running in my Asics Gel Cumulus for so long that I can't even remember what shoes I wore when I first started running over 7 years ago. But my fondest memory of running gear is--this is kind of dorky--wearing my Brooks Nightlife Vest. This vest was the last thing I put on, getting out the door to train for my first race longer than a 5K. I had to train mostly in the dark mornings of winter and I remember my running coach reminding me to always be seen. This vest did the trick. I must have looked ridiculous, but my running coach (you might know her) never said anything. I still wear the vest in the dark after all this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this! I love the memory you have with that vest and that you're still wearing it. I have mine too and I think it may just be as old as yours. I'm glad your coach was smart enough to tell you to be seen while running in the dark :)

      Delete
  4. I'm an Altra girl now too, but my very first pair of running shoes were Asics and I adored them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I was an Asics girl for a long time! There just came a time when they didn't fit the way they used to and all that Altra space was too much to resist :)

      Delete
  5. I'm as Mizuno gal now but remember those shoes well! My sister had a pair. I wore an old pair of Adidas three stripe way back then. Memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I used to work at the running store back east, I got the Mizuno Inspire to try and I really loved them. I didn't end up running in them, but I loved how they felt just walking around. I love how a pair of running shoes can conjure up memories!!

      Delete