Thursday, February 11, 2016

Friday Five: Five Reasons I'm Excited for LA Marathon

This weekend I'm running the Los Angeles Marathon! I am so very excited, I can hardly contain myself. I did check the weather and they are forecasting 90 degree temps and brilliant sunshine. I am NOT excited about that. And to take my mind off the weather, I'm going to focus on the things I am looking forward to!!

Before I continue, I'm participating in the Friday Five blog link up hosted by Courtney at Eat Pray Run DC, Cynthia at You Signed Up for What and Mar at Mar on the Run. When you're done here, be sure to check them out!

Now, without further ado, here are the 5 reasons I'm most excited about running the LA Marathon:

1. I'm a first timer!

I have always wanted to run this race. It is typically held the second weekend of March, which usually corresponds with my twin girls' birthday. So I thought running this race would just happen when they turned 20 or something and wouldn't care about having a birthday party. Well, last year the race was plagued with 90 degree temps and there were a lot of heat-related issues. The organizers decided to have it a month early to deal with the temperature issues (how's that for irony?) and moved the race up a month for 2016. When they did that, I jumped on it. I'm hoping they learned how to deal with the conditions last year and will have things ready for us this year. Heat aside, it's just going to be a phenomenal race. It runs through all the best neighborhoods, starting at Dodger Stadium, going through places like China Town, Beverly Hills, Hollywood and all the way to finishing at the Santa Monica Pier. So excited! I mean, look at this video from the race organizers:

 


2. Time away with friends.

I am heading to LA with my dear Smitha and I can't hardly wait to slam that car door and hit the road. We are going to be like teenagers in that car, singing and dancing our way up to LA. Honestly, I just can't wait to get away. It's been a tough couple of months here with sick kids (and sick parents), a traveling spouse and long work nights for the both of us. I need to get out of Dodge desperately, even if I have to run a marathon to do it. Not only am I running the race with one of my peeps, but several friends will be there and it will be great to see everyone. In fact, there's even a We Run Social meet up on Saturday and that will be a blast!



3. Olympic Trials

Running a race around the Olympic Marathon Trials is a very exciting thing. I was lucky enough that I ran the NYC Marathon in 2007 when they held the Olympic Trials the day before. It just adds something electric to the already pumped up atmosphere. All the big hitters will be there: Meb, Kara Goucher, Shalane Flanigan and more. The trials are on Saturday and the race doesn't start until 10:00am, so we should be able to see the majority of the race. The course is very spectator-friendly and runs by the 1986 Olympic Stadium, which is just awesome. I can't wait!

The Olympic Stadium when my son and I
visited a couple of years ago

4. Celebrity Stalking

That's right. I'm a sucker for a celebrity sighting. It doesn't even matter how famous the person is, I get pretty star struck. I know we'll come across some famous folk either running the race, cheering on the race or sometime while we're in LA. We just have to! Why else would we do this race? ;)

5. Double Medal

This year the LA Marathon is teaming up with the Ragnar Relay folks and offering a double medal to those that complete both the marathon and any Ragnar Relay event in 2015 (or a select few in 2016). Since I did Ragnar SoCal last year, I get a double medal. I don't always get too excited about "bling" but I'm excited about this one. It's pretty darn cool! Yay!



So, while there is nothing I can do about the predicted temperatures aside from hydrating well, adjusting my race plans and not panic, I am going focus on all the fun to be had this weekend. Granted, my race pics may be hideous and I may look like a melted piece of cake but I don't care! It's going to be a blast and that's all that matters!

What 5 things are you excited about this Friday?

28 comments:

  1. I am excited for you! I know you've been waiting for this race for a while, so I hope you'll be able to run with a celeb or 2 (in addition to Smitha) and see some cool sights. I wish I could be there to run with or to cheer for you, but regardless, have a fantastic race and weekend! Oh--and post pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve! I wish you were going to be there too! Imagine how fun that would be!! And you know I'll definitely post photos :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fun weekend ahead, so exciting! Good luck! Should be cool to watch the Olympic trials!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sherry! I am super excited about the trials.

      Delete
  3. I would love to run this race. The course sounds awesome! Have a great time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Megan! I am hoping the course is as exciting as it sounds. It will be awesome to finish on the pier!

      Delete
  4. Ooh, that medal is so cool! Have fun this weekend - just take it easy and hydrate properly (make sure to go into the race well hydrated!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited about the medal, mainly because I get it without really trying to get it! They announced the double medal after I was already registered! Score!

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a blast! I hope it's everything you've dreamed of. Good luck,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Even if it's the slowest marathon of my life, due to the heat, I know it will be amazing!!

      Delete
  6. Whoop whoop! Good luck, lady! You're going to have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Rachel!! Stay tuned for photos :)

      Delete
  7. So jealous you get to spectate the trials in person - I'll be watching from DC! Have a great race and run smart in that heat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Courtney!! I'm pretty excited about the trials too.

      Delete
  8. My heart just grew a couple sizes! We are on each other's race lists! And a couple other lists too. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm hoping for a celebrity sighting too. With the Grammy's on Monday in LA, it could happen!! See you on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will see someone famous, I know it!! See you in Saturday, Jenn! Safe travels to you!

      Delete
  10. This is so exciting! I have only been a spectator at the LA Marathon and even that is just amazing! It seems like one of those races that every marathoner would want to do. I love being at the finish line watching all the amazing runners. I hope you have a total blast and enjoy every single minute of your experience. I hope you see lots of celebs too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! Even though I'm a runner in the race, I feel like a spectator too. There's just so much to see along the way!

      Delete
  11. the la marathon seems amazing! the finish location just can't be beat being right on the ocean there. have a great race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?? I can hardly contain myself as it gets closer! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  12. You have a great attitude heading into this hot race! I'm excited for you. Take it slow and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Wendy! Slow and steady, here we come!!

      Delete
  13. how exciting! I'm still at 5ks but I feel I HAVE to do the LA marathon someday! Especially because I live in LA! That video was awesome! Makes the distance seem exciting rather than daunting and never ending! I've heard having one of those cooling towels that absorb water but aren't all wet help with running in the heat because the towel should stay cool and help keep you cooled down. I've also heard running with a cold ice water bottle helps but I'm not too sure how comfortable that one is! I hope you have a safe run! Can't wait to see your recap!
    https://curlycaroline.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline! The race was amazing!! I had a cooling towel but it didn't really help that much. But there were a lot of stations with ice along the way, so that helped. I put that stuff everywhere :) I've posted my recap if you'd like to see it: http://runwithsole.blogspot.com/2016/02/la-marathon-race-recap.html

      Thanks again!

      Delete
  14. I hope the LA Marathon went well for you! Always looks like a fun race less for the hot temps. Did you get to see the Olympic Trials? How was that to see, bet it was so amazing. Can't wait to hear about it. (Shannon @GirlsGotSole)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an amazing weekend in LA! We saw the Trials on Saturday, which were awesome. And then the race on Sunday was great!! I've posted my recap if you'd like to read more: http://runwithsole.blogspot.com/2016/02/la-marathon-race-recap.html

      Thanks!

      Delete