Thursday, March 24, 2016

Friday Five: March Runfessions

It feels like I just posted my runfessions for February and here we are, already a month later. And, sadly, I don't feel like much has changed since last month. Before I continue, I'm linking up with Marcia's Runfessions link up over at Marcia's Healthy Slice. This is a chance for all us fitness enthusiasts to admit our fitness indiscretions, if you will. Because we're all human and stuff and it feels good to let it all go instead of mentally beating ourselves up. Head over there when you're done here!

And, since I'm releasing five runfessions, I'm linking up with the Friday Five link up hosted by Courtney at Eat Pray Run DC, Cynthia at You Signed Up for What and Mar at Mar on the Run. Be sure to show them some love!


And away we go....

1. March kind of kicked me in the ass. I ran the San Diego Half Marathon back on 3/13 and tweaked my hamstring a little. There is quite a downhill finish and downhills aren't exactly friendly to hamstring issues. I was in a lot of pain after the race and was concerned since I have so many other races on my schedule and because I'm a running coach and trainer so getting hurt isn't something that is good for business. I have to be careful. But I got a Thai massage the day after the race which really helped. Thai massage is equivalent to a human foam roller. It's painful but effective. It helped loosen things up and I felt good for the Old West Trails 50K the following week. It wasn't perfect but all right. I only ran minimal miles in between races and stretched, used the portable muscle stim and kept things easy. Since the 50K I've felt ok too. I guess the runfession in here is that I just haven't been running as much as usual and feel guilty about it. But I know it's better to rest it and take it easy, only running what's necessary, than push it and make things worse.

2. The past few weeks have been so busy with work, family in town for my twins' birthday, racing, etc., that I'm just trying to stay afloat. I am not really enjoying my runs right now. Maybe it's because I'm afraid of the hamstring thing, maybe it's because I'm a little burned out. I know it has a lot to do with that. I'm tired and it's catching up to me. I want to blame the time change. With a race the morning of the time change and then another race the following weekend (plus early mornings during the week), I feel like I haven't gotten a good stretch of sleep and it's affecting my mental state and my running. Next weekend is Ragnar SoCal, so I'm hoping that spending time with my girls will help get me out of this funk.

3. I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but I've been running a lot on the treadmill lately and I've been getting a little obsessed with awful TV shows. Basically, if it's on Bravo, I've been watching it. Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, Real Housewives of Potomac, Tour Guide, Vanderpump Rules. DO NOT JUDGE ME! It passes the time on the dreadmill. These shows definitely remind me that money doesn't necessarily buy happiness. Or intelligence.

4. I've been eating like a freaking lunatic the past few weeks too. With the reduced running, this isn't really helping the situation but it is what it is. The worst was this past week with my girls' birthday and the many days of celebrating. We had their little party in school on 3/17 with cupcakes, we had their actual birthday on 3/18 with lots of yummy food and cake and then their party on 3/20 with the big cake. And since I was still hungry from the 50K the day before, I may have overindulged a bit. But now that their birthday festivities are over, maybe we can get back to normal and lay off the unhealthy foods. I just feel gross and sluggish. And when you're already exhausted, bad food doesn't help make you feel better.

5. Even though I'm tired and burned out, I'm still FOMO-ing hard. Social media is killing me! Seeing everyone's posts of races, beautiful trails and more is just making we want to do all the things and run all the places. But I can't. I need to get myself in order and after the PCT 50 in May, I need to take a little time off. I will still have races and will need to train, but I think the time after that race will be lighter in mileage until I need to ramp things up for the fall. I said it, so I need to stick to it. So, please stop posting such beautiful pictures of your trails and fun races!! 

30 comments:

  1. FOMO gets me every single time. Every.single.time.

    Hope your hamstring heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awful! Thanks for the hamstring-well wishes! I need them!

      Delete
  2. FOMO and cake - so hard to overcome! I hope you get back in your groove soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes, they ganged up on me this past week.

      Delete
  3. I think the treadmill is just fine and watching trash TV makes any run go quicker. It is hard to see everyone's races on social media, but I also know that if I race too much I end up injured. It's a hard balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a hard balance. Hard on my body, my mental state and my wallet!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the 50K wow! FOMO is so powerful also just wrote a whole post about it. It's real!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to check out that post! FOMO is terrible and mean.

      Delete
  5. I"m FOMO-ing over here too. Especially being injured and knowing I have to take time off after Big Sur. I want to plan more races!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Injured FOMO has got to be one of the hardest things for a runner to deal with! And you're doing Big Sur, so now I'm FOMO-ing writing this reply ;) I want to do that race too! LOL! I hope you feel better soon!

      Delete
  6. I hope your hamstring heals quickly. I think time with your girlfriends is an excellent remedy for the funk! FOMO is real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ho Ho! I'm really looking forward to Ragnar even if it won't help with the fatigue. It will be great!

      Delete
  7. FOMO is real. But I have a bunch of races coming up and now that my goal race is done, I'm excited to just run for fun for awhile :) Have fun at Ragnar!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Courtney! It will be fun to get away. Is it pathetic that "getting away" means sitting in a van for 24 hours? :)

      Delete
  8. I've been FOMO-ing lately, too! I think it will be easier for me to get outside and train up again for something! But, give yourself some slack--even coaches need a break.

    As for your choice of TV shows...uhhhhh...yeah. Never mind! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't watch anything meaningful when I'm running on the treadmill. I need mindless entertainment or at least something to take my mind off the hideousness of the treadmill. While I love other shows (Bates Motel, House of Cards), I can't hear them very well on the treadmill and I end up missing stuff. With the other shows, it doesn't really matter if I can't hear every word.

      Delete
  9. I am totally open to helping you run slower! Let's just say I am a giver! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's very thoughtful of you! :)

      Delete
  10. I hear you on the FOMO. I had to miss tri camp due to an injury and all the camp photos of my teammates having a blast on social media were torture!! I was so happy for all of them but was really wishing I was there and joining in the fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UGH! That would kill me. I hope you're healing from your injury and you're back out there soon!

      Delete
  11. I love the same trashy shows as you! I'm so excited to be on spring break and get a chance to catch up on Vanderpump and Housewives. Junk TV is a great way to get through a boring treadmill run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! A fellow Bravo lover! I still need to catch up on Vanderpump too. These people are nuts!

      Delete
  12. I love that trash tv! Whenever my hubby is out of town you can guarantee I am glued to Bravo! LOL! FOMO is real- hang tough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trash TV definitely makes running on the treadmill easier. And when the hubs is out of town, I get to watch it on the couch instead!

      Delete
  13. I have to avoid Bravo at all costs. I get sucked into those shows and you know they will play an entire season in one day to lure you in.
    I've been totally hooked up to Netflix right now anyways. I rewatched all the old episodes of Gilmore Girls to get ready for the reboot. So I'm no better off than you, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bravo shows are definitely addicting. But Netflix binges are a close second for me. I can sit and watch Arrested Development for hours if given the chance!

      Delete
  14. We all go through funks... I have my first marathon in one week and I am looking forward to some time off / down time. Its been quite intense.
    Love the tired dog picture. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, training is intense physically, mentally, emotionally, and so much more! I can't wait to hear about your race! Good luck!!

      Delete
  15. NO judgement from me about those shows! I used to really be into RHNY and Bethenny Frankel's multiple shows. It's good fluffy stuff to zone out to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Did you watch last season of RHNY with Bethenny's return? It was a good one!

      Delete