Tuesday, March 15, 2016

The Hardest Thing About Running....

Last week, we talked about the best thing about running. It was pretty easy for me to narrow down my favorite thing about being a runner. This week, though, we're talking about the hardest parts of running. For me, this one is a little more difficult.

Before I continue, I'm participating in the Tuesdays on the Run blog link up with My No-Guilt LifeMCM Mama Runs and Marcia's Healthy Slice. When you're done reading here, go check them out!



Because I can't narrow it down to just one thing, here are the three hardest things about being a runner for me.

Dealing with injury has to be one of the hardest things to deal with as a runner. I am grateful I haven't been injured many times but even the luckiest of runners will deal with something over the course of their career. While training for my first marathon, I was sidelined with awful IT Band issues. I had to defer my registration to the following year (when races still did that!) and even though I ran it, I was dealing with my unresolved IT Band issues for the entire race. I had to take 3 months off to deal with it. It was depressing and hideous and hopeless, for the injured runner has no idea how long they will remain injured. I couldn't even look at a runner running down the street without getting teary. Ugh. I've also been sidelined by plantar fasciitis, hamstring issues and pregnancy (I wasn't allowed to run while pregnant and ultimately was on months of bedrest with all my kids). Oh and I broke my foot and dislocated my baby toe (how this happened does not need to be disclosed). I was in a cast for 3 weeks and then one of those stupid ugly shoe things for another 4. Needless to say, these times were not good.

Second to injury is burnout and/or lack of motivation. For someone that races a lot, I am constantly on the verge of burnout. With high miles, early mornings to either train or race and lots of fatigue, sometimes it takes more strength to get ready to run than to actually run. Thankfully things like running partners, social media accountability, fun running clothes, great race experiences and a supportive family really really help.

The third hardest thing about running, for me, is time management. This one gets super tricky for most runners. As a coach and trainer, my schedule is pretty crazy. In between clients, I'm often doing kid-stuff, house-stuff or something else and there's not always time to get a run in. This leaves early mornings (if I don't have a client session) or later at night after the kids have gone to bed. It's hard. Some days I'm running 2 or 3 times just to get my miles in. It gets exhausting, both physically and mentally.

Most of the time, though, it's worth all the trouble to get out there and run. You'll never regret a run, even a bad one :)

What are the hardest things about running for you?

15 comments:

  1. Injuries are the worst, and early in my career I was sidelined with a stress fracture of my femur. Since then, however, my injuries have been minor and short-lived. But the hardest thing about running for me is running "solo," when a partner or group is not around. It's too easy for me to not push myself, to finish early, or to lose motivation to get out the door at all, and this is something I'm having a very difficult time pushing through. But somehow I'll get over it and come back into the running world as I was before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running solo is so hard when you are having trouble staying motivated. I find that taking advantage of social media really helps. Finding groups on meetup.com has also helped, especially when I first moved here. Runs at local running stores on the weekend may be something to try too... And other shops that are fitness-related may have runs too. We have several fitness apparel stores that are hosting fun runs now. And, of course, there's always a close friend that can chat over the phone during a run :)

      Delete
  2. I would say the hardest thing for me is the same as Steve. Running solo. But hey, I got over my fear of the treadmill. I can get over the fear of "being alone" too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I really don't mind running alone for the quiet time. But I definitely wouldn't want every run to be solo.

      Delete
  3. Yes! Injury is such a difficult thing to deal with, I too had ITB issues and it was so hard to not run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being an injured runner is the worst!

      Delete
  4. Run stopping injuries are the level worst. i will say doing LESS races has helped (and not just because I'm about to have a baby). haha! It's so nice to be able to go for a run with no care about distance or pace and simply enjoy. That being said I'm very eager to sign up for races again! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, running with no pressure is so joyful!! I'm sure you will be doing all the races after the baby comes!!

      Delete
  5. I run all the time and never think I get burned out. But honestly after I take some time off due to other commitments. I also come back feeling refreshed and my runs go so much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking a short break is really important to just regroup and refocus. Runs always feel so good even after the shortest breaks!

      Delete
  6. I'm so with you on all of these. What is it about ITBS and first marathons? I think I didn't know enough to realize what was going on with mine until it felt like a gunshot. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the error of trying to run through it, which never works!! But I guess we all have to make mistakes and learn from them and all that crap ;)

      Thanks for hosting!!

      Delete
  7. I haven't had to deal with real injuries, but I have had excruciating leg cramps that lasted for hours after long runs! Finally found the right combo of supplements for me. Enjoy those runs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leg cramps are awful! I find that staying on top of my magnesium and potassium intake helps tremendously.

      Delete
  8. Yes, yes and yes! I dealt with all three of these especially during my marathon training! I was so close to burn out it was kind of scary. My personality is when I'm done with something, I AM DONE! Thankfully it happened right before taper and I was able to recover just fine!

    ReplyDelete