Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Checking in on our goals for 2016

With April coming to a close next week, we're already through a third of the year! Can you believe that? I know I can't. And since time is flying by so quickly, now is the perfect time to check in on those goals we set at the beginning of the year. It's early enough in the year that we can revisit those goals, reassess our plans and make changes if necessary. Pressing the reset button on our goals doesn't mean we've failed. It means we're making the changes necessary to ensure success!!

Before I continue, this post is part of the Tuesday on the Run blog link up with My No-Guilt LifeMCM Mama Runs and Marcia's Healthy Slice. When you're done reading here, go check them out!

I never formally outlined my goals for 2016 here on the blog. I mentioned what I was going to do very nonchalantly in my look back on 2015 post. I said I would be doing a 50-miler in January, another in May and then most likely a 100K in the fall. And I did that 50-miler in January and I'm about to do another in less than a month. This will be my third 50-miler in a year. I'm nervous about it but I'm also not nervous about it. I feel stronger than I have for the other two races. I have experience on my side, which is always helpful. But I also don't feel 100% comfortable with the distance. I hit the wall big time in both races, right around the 40-mile mark. In the first race I thought it was nutrition-related so I made sure to adjust my nutrition throughout my training. That was a great adjustment. But during the second 50-miler, I am not really sure what happened. I just didn't feel great for much of the race. I was tired and just not feeling it. By the time mile 40 arrived, I was mad at the world. My stomach was bothering me, I was tired and just hating life. Granted, I made it through and finished the race but I wasn't happy about my performance. And now with how things have been going lately (tired, stressed), I'm afraid I'm going to be in the same place for the PCT 50 next month. But I have 4 weeks left until race day, so I hoping with the taper beginning and mileage decreasing, I'll be able to relax and feel strong before the race. That's the plan, anyway.

Which leaves me with the big goal for 2016: run the Cuyamaca 100K in October. Well, the first step in reaching that goal is registering and I can check that one off the list! Special registration for members of the San Diego Ultra Running Friends (the trail running group I belong to) opened April 1 and I secured my spot, bypassing the lottery for the remaining spots not filled. There are only 200 participants allowed, so I feel pretty special to be among the participants. I'll be running with Vanessa and Jenny, so I'm really looking forward to reaching this huge goal with them. I know there will be plenty of laughs along the way and definitely tears of joy as we finish.

And I'll be sure to share my training along the way!

How are your goals coming along so far in 2016?

10 comments:

  1. I have no doubt that anything you do and train for and set your mind to will be fantastic! Just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Congrats on completing several ultras. I have done only one, a 50k. But maybe some day I will do a 50 miler.I can't even imagine a 100k. Goodluck! -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's been a crazy year with all the mileage but I like the challenge. I'm nervous about the 100K but I'm just going to focus on one race at a time right now!

      Delete
  3. You have quite an awesome year in progress. I'm so excited for you and your upcoming races! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, a 100K race, I am so impressed. 42 K was enough for me !
    Look forward to following your training ! It would be interesting to know how you fueled and hydrated for a 50K, and how you are going to do it for 100K. Fascinating that the body can do something like that. You rock !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! Nutrition for a 50K is about the same as a marathon, though maybe a little more food each time you eat. It's the 50-miler that I really had to change my nutrition. I had to eat more real food as I just couldn't tolerate the gels and chews for that long. Lots of rice bars, pretzels, potatoes, chocolate, etc. Good stuff! We'll see how much I need to eat for the 100K! Yikes! I'll need a cooler with me!

      Delete
  5. Wowza. So. Many. Miles.

    I ran my first full in September and signed up for my first 50K this year. You're an inspiration. I'll be stopping by again fo' sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. That's so awesome that you not only completed your first full but now you're training for a 50K!! You will rock it!

      Delete