Monday, May 16, 2016

Are you a Race Monogamist?

I just coined a new term: the race monogamist. You know, the runner than runs the same race over and over again. Sure, you may check out other races here and there, but you are true to that one race and do it every year. Or maybe you're a monogamist to several races? A race polygamist, perhaps? Ok, my head is spinning. But, I think I'm a race polygamist. I race many of the same races every year. And that's what we're talking about here on Tuesdays on the Run.

Before I continue, I'm linking up with the Tuesday on the Run blog link up, hosted by My No-Guilt LifeMCM Mama Runs and Marcia's Healthy Slice. When you're done reading here, go check them out!

I never really gave it much thought until I saw this week's topic, but I am definitely a race polygamist. There are quite a number of races I love to do every year and some I'd like to do more than once (but not necessarily every year). Here are some:

Cherry Blossom 10-miler. This was my favorite Washington, DC race. I did it for the first time in 2006, and it was the first race I ran after my son was born 6 months earlier. I tried to do it every year after that but sadly, 2010 was my last year because I got pregnant with the girls right after that race and then we moved to San Diego right after they were born. It will always hold a special place in my heart and if I have the chance to do it again, I will!

Marine Corps Marathon. I've done this one three times and will probably do it again at some point. It was my first and second marathon and then I did it the 10th anniversary of my first marathon (did your head start spinning with that?). It's such a great race.

New York City Marathon. As a New Yorker, I will always have this race on my to-do list. I may not enter the lottery every year but I know I'll run this a few more times in the future.

Griffith Park Trail Marathon. I just love this race. It's organized well, it's in LA so it's not too far and there's always the chance I'll see celebrities. I couldn't do it this year but hopefully I'll be able to do it again in the future.

San Diego Half Marathon. I've done this one every year it's been in existence. I really love this race and I love that they recognize the runners that do it every year with special "legacy" swag. Those of us that have done it all 5 years received a jacket this year. It's pretty sweet. I'll definitely keep doing it as long as I can. In fact, I believe this is the race I've done the most times out of all the races I've done. I'll have to think about it a little more, but I'm pretty sure it's the one I'm most monogamous with :)

Noble Canyon 50K. Ok, this one I don't actually love. I may not even like it. I did it for the first time in 2014 and it was pretty tortuous. I did it again last year because it worked in my training. And I just signed up again for this year's because, again, it fits in my training. I'm doomed to do this race forever! And I only dislike it because it's usually hot as hell and the course is one of the more difficult mountain races here in San Diego County.

PCT 50. I can't even believe there's a 50-miler on this list. It was my first 50-miler last year and I just finished it last weekend for the second time (stay tuned for my recap later this week!). It is part of the San Diego Slam, which is a series of the toughest ultramarathons in San Diego County: the PCT 50, the San Diego 100, the Noble Canyon 50K and the Cuyamaca 100K. So, my BRF Vanessa and I are entering the slam this fall beginning with Noble and hoping to finish with the San Diego 100 next year. So another PCT 50 for me! Yay and YIKES!

There are other races I've done that I would probably do again if it worked out but I would say these are the top ones on the list.

And the one race I feel really strongly that I will most likely never run again is the America's Finest City Half Marathon, here in San Diego. I actually really don't mind the race itself it's just hot (it's held in August) and I don't really like it enough to do it again. If it were a trail race, I'd probably do it again despite the heat. But for now, it's a one-and-done kind of race for me.

How about you? Are you a race polygamist or monogamist? Or a one-and-done racer?

18 comments:

  1. Out of your list I have only ran the Marine Corp. Yes it was a great race and I am happy I got a chance to run it. But not really any desire to do it again. Look forward to your 50 miler recap. I am thinking about signing up for one. Now I can't believe I am saying that...haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for a 50-miler!! I hope you do it!

      Delete
  2. Definitely one and done. I get bored quickly and my schedule changes too much to be able to do races over and over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it when races change things up after awhile so we don't get bored. Maybe that would change things?

      Delete
  3. Ha, ha, I used monogamous in my post too. :) Great minds think alike.

    The smaller races are usually the repeats for me, the longer ones are one & done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There a few races that I have run more than once, but overall I like to mix it up and see and try new races! I do love Cherry Blossom, it's becoming one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely like to mix it up too. But for some reason the same races keep popping up on my race schedule!

      Delete
  5. I'd definitely do NYCM again if I had the chance. I feel about the Chi Marathon the way you do about America's Finest City. The 2 times I've run it it was 85+ degrees. That plus the lottery now = probably never again. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the year I did Chicago was hot too. It's a great race but I think it's a one-and-done race for me.

      Delete
  6. I feel like I do all the same races but then keep adding to the list! I love revel Canyon City and now revel Mt. Charleston. I love the LA Marathon and Rock n Roll San Diego. I probably will never do PHX Marathon or AFC again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree on Phoenix and AFC! But I think I am over RnR San Diego too.

      Delete
  7. Haha I like that term. Race polygamist. I guess that's what I am! If it's Savage Race, Spartan Race, Tough Mudder or Battlefrog I will definitely do it! And those take priority for me every year- I tend to work other races around the "big four" in my schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a client that loves the Spartan races too. She does at least 10 a year!

      Delete
  8. This is pretty funny! I have several hometown races that I like to try and run each year but I also like to explore new races and cities when I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love exploring new cities by running a race. It's the best way to get to know a new place!

      Delete
  9. I can't wait for my first MCM! I hope it's everything everyone says it is. :) Congrats on your 50! That's on my list of goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! You will enjoy MCM! It's so inspirational and the city is just beautiful. Good luck!!

      Delete