Thursday, May 26, 2016

May Runfessions

It's the last Friday of the month! You know what that means...it's time for another edition of Runfessions, where we runners "runfess" all of our running- and fitness-related indiscretions during the month. It's time to wipe the fitness slate clean, so to speak.

Before I continue, I'm linking up with Marcia's Runfessions link up over at Marcia's Healthy Slice. Head over there when you're done here!

And, since I'm releasing five runfessions, I'm linking up with the Friday Five link up hosted by Courtney at Eat Pray Run DC, Cynthia at You Signed Up for What and Mar at Mar on the Run. Be sure to show them some love!

So, here we go:

1. As you know, I ran the PCT 50 a couple of weeks ago. I gave myself a week off of no running whatsoever for the week after the race. The runfession here is that it was the most blissful week ever. I didn't miss running. At all. It was the typical busy week with work, so it was actually nice to not have to fit in my runs somewhere. I didn't feel restless or anxious or anything. It was heaven!



2. In addition to not running, I kind of gave myself the liberty of eating everything in sight in that week after the race. I kept telling myself, "I just ran 50 miles, I need to replenish." And while that is partly true, I went just a tad bit overboard. For like a week. While this wouldn't be so so so bad if I was running, I wasn't, so I felt a little sloth-like by the end of the week. But I'm gathering myself together and getting back on track :)

3. In getting myself back on track, I've written my training plan for my next big goal: the Cuyamaca 100K in October. I have to admit that I'm really worried and somewhat concerned about this race. I had so much trouble fitting in all of my workouts leading up to PCT 50 that I'm scared I'll have the same issue for this one too. And it's a longer race (62 miles!) so I can't really slack on training unless I want to either a) not finish within the cutoff time or b) fall off the mountain.

4. This weekend is the Vista Strawberry Festival which has a 5K, 10K and several kids races. We've done the kids races every year. And this year my oldest and I are doing the 5K together. This isn't his first 5K but it's his first in a long time. He said he wanted to do it, so I registered him for it. But it's been like pulling teeth getting him to actually train for it. This makes me a little sad because he's such a great runner and I have to admit that I want my kids to be runners. I haven't pushed or forced him but I also don't want him to hurt himself. He's an active kid, so I know he'll ultimately be ok. But I'm sad that running isn't something he really likes much and that kind of hurts me a little :( I guess we'll see how things go.

5. As I mentioned a million times on here, I've been doing a yoga challenge for the month of May. I have loved every darn minute of it and it's really brought back how much I enjoy doing yoga. I'm really sad that the challenge is ending on the 31st and now I don't know what to do with myself. I know this isn't really running related, but I think bringing yoga back into my life has kind of centered me a little and allowed me to destress in a different way than running does. And this really helped me be open to start running again this week (after my week of gluttonous recovery). I feel excited to fit this back into my training but I do feel sad the challenge is ending. I need to find a new yoga challenge for June. Or make one up myself.

That's about it for May. How about you? What do you runfess this month? 

21 comments:

  1. I am sure your body needed the rest and the nourishment after the 50K! Have fun at the Strawberry Festival! Kids are better than we are at just running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it definitely needed rest and nurishment but I think I may have gone overboard in the nurishment department. Eek!

      Delete
  2. I've really let yoga slide this month--with my son breaking his leg and my new puppy, something had to go. I've been doing yoga at home but I need to get back to the studio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing yoga at home can be just as rewarding as going somewhere. And it's much cheaper :) At least you're doing it! Hope things get better with your son and pup!

      Delete
  3. I well know that feeling of kids wanting to run but not wanting to train. There's so much I have to hold back from saying as a mom. He'll be fine. Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holding my tongue as a mom is sometimes harder than training for an ultra!! Thanks, Marcia!

      Delete
  4. My big runfession is that I actually enjoy not being serious about my training all the time. Like you, I usually take a week off after a major race (like a marathon). I used to give myself an entire week off following a 13.1, but I do so many of them these days it's not necessary (though I do scale it back).And, like you, I feel NO guilt in taking that week off ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so nice to take a step back sometimes. It's that reset that brings be back to enjoying my runs again.

      Delete
  5. Oh man I would love to run on the PCT!!! I'm going to go back and read your race recap. :) Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Megan! Yes, run the PCT!! Let me know when you do and maybe we can meet up!

      Delete
  6. I'm with you on not missing running & overheating for a week -- and I only ran 13.1!

    I hope you have a good time at the strawberry festival -- that sounds like a ton of fun.

    It's got to be frustrating to see so much unused potential in your kid -- but ultimately, he's got to want it. Just lead by example & someday he might surprise you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy! I hope he learns to love running too. I guess only time will tell!

      Delete
  7. I bet your son will end up loving to run - it just may take him awhile to get there. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, I hope so. He's such a beautiful runner!

      Delete
  8. I would have taken off a month after the PCT 50!!! You are awesome to be back at it after only a week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I wanted to take a month off but I don't know if I would survive all the over-indulging :)

      Delete
  9. You deserved that week off! Why else run 50 miles if you can't eat all the things at least for 1 week? See you tomorrow and Sunday! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True dat! Looking forward to this weekend too!

      Delete
  10. You are going to do a 100K ? That is AMAZING ! Already 50K is amazing...
    I was so worried about gaining weight between training cycles that I decided to track my food. It has kept me in line !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hopefully training and ultimately the 100K will go well. Perhaps my nerves will keep my training on point!

      Delete
  11. 100K!!!! That is so great! Best of luck to you on training up to the event!

    ReplyDelete