Thursday, June 23, 2016

Five Reasons to Keep It Chill

Summer is in full swing everywhere and, if you're anything like me, you want to find ways to stay cool while on the run. I outlined some ways in a Friday Five post a couple of weeks ago but I'm still always ready to try different things to stay cool while running. And, just in time for summer, local company Running Skirts has just come out with a new line of stay-cool items treated with Xylitol. I thought I'd give the neck gaitor a try and share my thoughts with you!

Before I continue, I'm linking up with the Friday Five link up hosted by Courtney at Eat Pray Run DC, Cynthia at You Signed Up for What and Mar at Mar on the Run. Be sure to show them some love!

What's Xylitol? Well, xylitol is actually a sugar alcohol that is used to sweeten many sugar-free items. There is also research indicating xylitol can help keep cavities away. This is why Xylitol is added to sugar-free gum: it improves dental health, sweetens the gum and provides that cooling sensation as you chew. Now that technology has been added to fabrics. When the fabric is gets wet, either through water or sweat, it has a long-lasting cooling property. Since I have a lot of hot running and racing ahead of me this summer and fall, I picked up Running Skirts neck gaitors treated with Xylitol with the hopes of staying cooler out on the run. Here are my 5 reasons you should give them a try!

1. Cooling properties aside, they're super cute. Right now, they have a white and pink gaitor and a turquoise gaitor. The little hearts on the gaitor are treated with Xylitol. I couldn't decide which one I liked better, so I picked up both of them.


2. Sweating activates the Xylitol but dunking it in water is better. Last weekend, I wore the turquoise gaitor out on a long run that took us from the coast inland on the San Elijo Lagoon trail and back. It was hot and humid and there was plenty of sweating going on to activate the cooling hearts. But I dunked it in water as well, which really activated the Xylitol and helped to keep the gaitor cooler longer.

3. It's awesome around your neck. I kept the gaitor around my neck for the entire long run and I could definitely feel the difference throughout the run. It stayed cool for the whole 18 miles. I would turn it around every so often from the front to back and it would still be cool. Kind of like when you turn your pillow over every so often to get the "cool side." It was really nice to get a little coolness on the back of my neck.

4. It works as a headband. I wore the white one on a treadmill run this week. Our treadmill is in the garage. With the heat wave, our garage has been almost as hot as outside. There's just no sun to contend with. Anyway, I wore the gaitor on my head and I could definitely feel the difference as I got deeper into my run. I could turn it around throughout the run and could still feel it cooling.


5. Running Skirts also has tanks and arm sleeves treated with Xylitol. And every so often they offer free shipping on the Keep It Chill line, so be sure to check out the website and sign up for the newsletter to take advantage of the deal.

I usually run with gaitors (or buffs) on my wrist, around my neck, over my ears, etc. when I'm running for long periods of time. That's why this was an easy decision for me to try this product. I really like it. Aside from the cooling capabilities, it's soft and feels nice against your skin. I will definitely take it with me on all my long runs this summer, as well as my 100K in the fall.

Have you tried any products treated with Xylitol? What are your thoughts?

*I bought these gaitors myself and all options are my own. Running Skirts did not provide these products. 


15 comments:

  1. I have something similar to this. It is not the same brand though. I have yet to try it. I'm anxious to see if the one I have will really keep me cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about the products!

      Delete
  2. I never heard about the product - thanks so much for writing about it on your blog. I struggle a lot with running in the heat so I'm going to check these out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggled too. And while I was still hot and sweaty, every little bit of coolness from the gaitor helped.

      Delete
  3. I've never worn anything treated with Xylitol before. I would be worried that something around my neck would chafe. But it may be worth trying out because I hate being hot while running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the way the gaitor lays around the neck, it won't chafe. I haven't had any problems.

      Delete
  4. interesting! I hadn't heard about it but I sweat so profusely it might be worth checking out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so interesting - I'm desperate for anything to cool me down during summer runs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! It was so nice to wipe my face with the cool fabric throughout the run.

      Delete
  6. I cannot believe I have never invested in one of these. Livin in Florida, it just gets too dang hot. I def need to chill out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely recommend trying them, especially for those hot and humid Florida runs!

      Delete
  7. I love my Running skirts gaitor too. I need the blue one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard of these. My first impression when I saw the photo was, that they would feel like they were choking you while running, but now I know it is to keep you cool. Love this idea! Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete