Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Where Summer Running Has Taken Me

It's hard to believe July is coming to a close and the summer is almost over. I feel like I have not done a whole lot this summer but as I compiled my photos for this blog post, I've been lucky enough to have some really great long runs and miles of fun.

Before I continue, I'm linking up with the Tuesday on the Run blog link up, hosted by My No-Guilt LifeMCM Mama Runs and Marcia's Healthy Slice. When you're done reading here, go check them out!

Summer running was unofficially kicked off with the Vista Strawberry Festival. This was the third year for us and it didn't disappoint! This year my son and I did the 5K, he then ran the kids 1-mile with a friend and then the girls and I did the kids 1/4-mile run. It was a great day!


Summer trail running has taken me to some familiar and some not-so-familiar ground. Despite the heat and my fear of snakes, the trails have been as fun as ever. Here are a few places I'm lucky enough to be able to run through:

South side of Lake Hodges
The north side of Lake Hodges 

Top of Cuyamaca Peak with PIC Vanessa

Top of Cuyamaca Peak with the Dirt Devils

One of the more interesting trail runs was when we discovered the newly opened trail leading to Annie's Canyon. This trail is part of the the San Elijo Lagoon trail system and was closed off to the public but people still went into the canyon (locally known as the Mushroom Caves) and defaced the rocks. Local conservancy groups banded together to clean up the canyon and reopen it to the public. We had so much fun exploring and climbing through the rocks. 

Entering Annie's Canyon



Climbing through the rocks was super cool! 

The top of the canyon with Vanessa, Jenny and Sean
Back to the top of Cuyamaca Peak

View from the top! 

Not all runs were on trails and many of my summer runs took place along my beloved Coast Highway. 

The top of Torrey Pines
A silly random evening run with my love Joanna

Through downtown San Diego for Smitha's birthday run!

The birthday run crew! 

And the summer running fun isn't over yet! More coast runs starting with this weekend's 26-miler, a trip up to Malibu for the Bulldog 50K and some running on our family trip to Mexico in a couple of weeks. And who knows where else! Hopefully I'll be able to make a trip out to Noble Canyon before that 50K in September. We'll see!

Where has your summer running taken you? Any crazy runs planned before summer is over?

8 comments:

  1. Can't wait to run so many more miles with you! Love you B!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I can't say that I've run much at all this summer. But, I can still enjoy your pics, right? Because they're awesome. :)

      Delete
    2. Of course you can enjoy the pics :) I can't wait to see where your running next takes you!!

      Delete
  2. Looks like you've had a fun running summer so far! I loathe that it's grinding to an end. But I do have a little running junket coming up in Ireland NEXT WEEK! Eeee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're going to have a blast in Ireland!! Can't wait to hear about it and see the pics!

      Delete
  3. Annie's canyon looks awesome. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so fun! I can't wait to do it again!

      Delete