Friday, October 21, 2016

Fool-proof pumpkin purée in 10 easy steps!

Now that pumpkin season is in full swing, you may be wondering what to do with all those pumpkins. Have you ever made your own pumpkin purée? It's actually really easy. If you've made any type of squash before, you can make fresh pumpkin purée too. Any pumpkin will do as most of us carve the big pumpkins for Halloween, the baby ones are left to sit and rot. Instead of letting them rot, cut them open and roast those babies!

You know I love me some pumpkin. It is one of those "superfoods" no one eats unless it's in pie form or processed syrup added to coffee. But the real stuff is loaded with so many vitamins, minerals, fiber, anti-oxidants and cholesterol-busting phytosterols, it's a shame to let all that clean goodness rot on your front porch. Just think of all that vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, beta-carotene and protein going to waste! And your pies, muffins, hummus, pudding, etc., will taste SO much better with the real thing vs. canned purée (even organic canned pumpkin). In fact, I added some to my chili recipe for this evening. If it's a hit, I'll be sure to post!

Here's a fool-proof way to purée your pumpkin in 10 easy steps!

1. Preheat your oven to 350.

2. Start with a pumpkin of any size, though the smaller the pumpkin, the easier to manage. However, size is important if you need a ton of puréed pumpkin ;)



3. Cut off the tops of your pumpkins. Then cut in half, revealing those little nutritional powerhouses (aka, pumpkin seeds). As you can see, all you need is a good, sharp knife. No special tools required to saw through the pumpkin.



4. Scoop out the seeds and the stringy pulp and place in a bowl. You can roast the seeds later.

5. Cut the scooped-out pumpkin into quarters and place on a rimmed baking sheet.



6. Bake for about 45-60 minutes depending on the size and amount of your pumpkin. The pumpkin should be fork-tender when done.

7. Once the pumpkin pieces are cooled, scrape the pumpkin meat from the skin and place in either a high-speed blender or the bowl of a food processor.



8. Depending on the water content of your pumpkin, you may not need to add any water to the blender/food processor before blending. I did not need to, however, you may want to have some filtered water at the ready while you're blending your pumpkin. If you need to, add about 1 tbs of water at a time while blending to get the purée consistency you'd like.

9. If you're not using up all of your purée immediately, you can store it in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for about a week.

10. If you have some puree you know you're not going to use right away, you can freeze it. Place the puree in a freezer bag. Smush it down, letting out some of the air, when sealing it. It can be stored in the freezer for about 3 months.



Have you ever made your own pumpkin purée? What's your favorite way to use pumpkin?

10 comments:

  1. Yum, that looks like a great base to start a pumpkin soup! Here in The Netherlands Pumpkins and squash can be quite expensieve. I've tried to grow my own but haven't had much luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great way to make your own puree that can be frozen for all your pumpkin and squash desires!

      Delete
  2. Another brilliant idea from you! I have always wanted to learn how to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never done this, I'm not a pumpkin person. But my sister sure is, I'll have to share this with her, I don't think she's ever made her own either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really easy! My kids love pumpkin muffins and stuff like that so this helps keep it on the healthier side. I hope your sister enjoys making her own puree!

      Delete
  4. I love this! I love pumpkin pie and pumpkin cakes/muffins so being able to make myself with my own pumpkin is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Have fun with your baking! Now, the hardest part is choosing the pumpkin!

      Delete
  5. YUM!!! I bet the house smells amazing after this! I won't lie though - cracking open a can of pumpkin is much more attractive to me, LOL! Cause I am that, "I WANT IT NOW" kind of person! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, cracking open a can is definitely my preference too. But now you can make your own in case you have any pumpkins laying around :)

      Delete