Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Race Day Do Overs

Have you ever run a race and wished you could have a do-over? I think all runners have those wishes every now and then, which is why we often run the same races over and over! And if we want a race day do-over, we often want a training do-over as well. Perhaps this is why it's the topic for this week's Tuesday on the Run blog link up, hosted by My No-Guilt LifeMCM Mama Runs and Marcia's Healthy Slice. When you're done reading here, go check them out!

I have to say that I would love a race day do-over for my big race of this year, the Cuyamaca 100K. But it isn't necessarily because I want to change my training or I did something wrong. In fact, I think my training went as well as it could, under the circumstances. If you read my race recap, you know that I've been dealing with some health issues. And those health issues really prevented me from running the way I would like. I mean, I got as many miles and training races in as I could but I wish I could have run all of them feeling good and not feeling the way that I did most of the time. I wish I could have run the race feeling good as well (well, as good as one does when running 63 miles at a time). But I think I had the best result I could have asked for: I finished. That's what counts. Does all of this mean I want to run the race again? Not really. I have my eyes on a bigger prize and hopefully I won't need to run this race again to achieve it :)

As for races where I clearly messed up? Yeah, I have those too. When I ran the Walt Disney World Marathon 800 years ago, I was fairly new to marathoning. This was marathon #3 for me and I just still didn't know what would work for me nutritionally. After I had my first baby, my body did not metabolize sugar very efficiently and I had major stomach issues while on the run. This was my second marathon after having my son and I just didn't know what would work for me. I didn't spend enough time on any one product to know what worked (I did learn the hard way what didn't work). Needless to say, I spent the entire 26.2 miles running through the parks of Disney World to find the nearest bathroom. It was not pretty. Thankfully that hasn't happened since then, though I am still plagued with issues from time to time. But not sure I'd want a do-over of WDW Marathon. Maybe if I went with a big group of friends and we did the Dopey Challenge. Gotta make it worth the trip :)

Do you have a race and/or training do-over? What would you do differently?

22 comments:

  1. Yep, I"d redo one of my Disney marathons also. However, after number 3 I retired from marathon running so I guess that will never happen, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I think I'm retired from Disney races, so no do-overs for me there either! Well, I may run one or two with my kids when they're old enough so still not do-overs.

      Delete
  2. I think I most desire a do-over when I feel like I did not run as well as I knew I was capable of. Then again there are race repeats just because they're convenient and/or fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I typically only want to do a race again if it's super fun.

      Delete
  3. I don't know if I want a do-over because I learned a lot, but if I ever run the LA Marathon again I would definitely do it differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your first marathon is entirely a learning experience.

      Delete
  4. I hope I would be in that group of friends but I refuse to run Disney. Maybe Disney Paris?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your next big race goes well given that your health issues should be resolved by then. Good luck with whichever one you choose. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for that Rachel! I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  6. Oh gosh... a do-over. Yes. I ran Grandma's marathon last year and my training was a near train wreck (lots of unforeseen obstacles during an already-busy time of year). Race day, the endurance went well, but there were some tummy issues (probably similar to what you were talking about), and I made several porta-pot stops. I'd love to go back and run that beautiful course without the constant need to pull over LOL (I may be going back in 2017...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think any race where you are literally running from potty to potty deserves an automatic do-over. Good luck if you go back next year!

      Delete
  7. If I could do-over my half-marathon, I would either wear a different bra or put some glide gel under my chest! I had the WORST friction burn, and didn't even know it until I was driving home. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the worst chafing from my bra. I starting using RunGoo and that helps a lot. Chafing is the worst!!!

      Delete
  8. I don't know if I would say running Dopey Challenge would be fun even with friends. Those races are so darn early. But Disney itself is always fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, they are early!! Maybe I'll just take a trip to Disney and forget about the races :)

      Delete
  9. TOTALLY MY FIANCE!!! The day before the LA marathon, he decided he wanted to run it... Bear in mind that he had not run more than a mile in at least a year... So um, WHAT?! But he did it. And he beats himself up for getting 4 hours and 40 minutes! WTF!!!!! WITHOUT TRAINING!? He is nuts - ha! But he always says, I WISH I COULD RE-DO it.. Then I ask, so you want to do it again? And he is like OH HECK NO! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, that's just not fair! It's like those kids in school that never studied and got straight A's. UGH! LOL!

      Delete
  10. I can't wait to hear what your next big race is going to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully a 100 miler next year! Stay tuned!

      Delete
  11. Doing a 100K is such a long race- it is amazing you finished not feeling 100%. I have been dealing with some issues for the last few years and i know exactly what you mean, I ran a lot of miles not really feeling great. Running and feeling good is a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sucks not feeling like yourself. Hoping you are feeling better soon too!

      Delete