Friday, November 4, 2016

Five Things You May Not Know About Me

It's time for some fun! It's Friday, which means I'm linking up with the girls over at the Friday Five 2.0 link up. Today's theme is sharing five things most people won't know about you. This was actually a little difficult for me because I'm pretty open here on the blog. I had to dig deep on this one.

Before I continue, as mentioned, I'm linking up with the ALL-NEW Friday Five 2.0 link up, hosted by Rachel at Running on Happy and Lacey and Meranda from Fairytales and Fitness. When you're done here, be sure to check these ladies out!

Without further ado, here we go:

1. When I was kid I wanted to be a pilot. I think I was in 6th grade when I fully realized this dream. We had a career day and an airline pilot was there and talked about the fun and rewarding job he had as a pilot. He mentioned that there were very few female pilots out there and it was an up-and-coming career path for women. Well, say no more. I went full throttle into researching becoming a pilot, what college I would go to (Embry-Riddle Aeronautical, of course), which airline I wanted to fly and so on. But then one spring break, I think it was sophomore year in high school, we went to the Bahamas for vacation. The flight was AWFUL and I got very sick. It kind of made me re-think the whole pilot thing and I really lost the vim and vigor I once had. It's a little embarrassing that my career hopes were dashed by some air sickness but that's just how it goes sometimes.

2. I have a pretty obsessive personality. I kind of latch onto really weird things and obsess over them for a period of time. I've had some really odd obsessions that have included salad storage containers (don't ask) and buying collars for every occasion for my dog (don't ask about that one either). One that was kind of fun was my Elvis obsession. I don't know why but I got on an Elvis kick when I was a senior in college. I read every book about him I could, watched his movies, everything. When I graduated and moved back home, my dad and I drove across the country (I went to school in Arizona and lived in New York) to go back home. But not without a stop at Graceland. It was by far one of the best touristy things I've ever done! I don't know how it is now but at the time, you could take a self-guided tour through the house and grounds of Graceland while listening to some audio tour. You went everywhere except in the private bedrooms upstairs. It was SO COOL. Everything was still in the condition it was when Elvis lived there. The basement was interesting as there was a TV room with 3 TVs (he wanted one to watch each network station...at the time there was only NBC, ABC and CBS). And there was a game room with a pool table, etc. The whole room was covered in this quilted fabric: the walls, the ceiling, the pool table. In fact, in the center of the ceiling was this button (of the same fabric) that gathered all the fabric together. Hard to explain but so hideous that I still remember it. Outside was his dad's office (his dad Vern was his manager) and a "gym" that not only had workout equipment and a racquetball court but also a full bar. Perfect. I still think about that trip and would go back if anyone asked me too :)

3. I have the worst willpower when it comes to food. Yes, I try to eat right and all that but when I'm faced with temptation, I have a hard time saying no. I briefly touched on this with the donuts last week. This is the main reason I got licensed as a Sports Nutritionist. I needed to arm myself with as much info to not only help others, but help myself too. I'm only human and I need to work on stuff too :)

4. I have an awful phobia of insects and rodents. I do not love insects at all and have a hard time being in the same vicinity as an insect. When I lived on the east coast, crickets would often come in the house when the temperatures dropped and some of my worst nightmares include seeing a cricket in my room. I've had nightmares of being attacked by mice as well. I have a vivid imagination, apparently. But the worst has to be spiders. They are just too awful for me to even talk about in full detail. Now that I'm a mom, I have to keep my fears in check so I don't pass them onto my kids. I will usually run away when I see something and go scream in the bathroom or cry in my closet.

5. The summer before my senior year in high school, I was lucky enough to be an exchange student for the summer. I went to Australia for 4 weeks and it was amazing. But I was 16 and didn't exactly appreciate it as much as I should have. We went to Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane, part of the Outback and even the Great Barrier Reef. We also stayed with two different families and went to school with the kids. I often forget that I even went there, which is why I wanted to bring it up now. It was a great experience and maybe if I think about it enough, we can make a plan to go back. I recently got back in touch with a couple of the friends I made there through Facebook, which was pretty awesome. It was fun but I would love to go back as an adult. Someday, we will! Perhaps I can plan it around some ultra...now that would be amazing!

Now it's your turn! Share something only a few people would know about!

23 comments:

  1. I hate flying, so no way could I ever be a pilot. I wanted to be a vet until middle school science. Dissecting the cow's heart put the nail in that dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always wanted to work with animals but it just would be too heartbreaking for me.

      Delete
  2. That is very cool you got to spend some time in Australia. I would definitely like to visit there someday. What a trip that would be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was a great trip. I just wish my 16-year old self realized that at that time and could appreciate it more!

      Delete
  3. I like your list. And I had no idea you were an exchange student in Australia--cool! So here are a few things people might not know about me:

    1. Like you, I always wanted to be a pilot, but I actually followed through with it and earned my private pilot license when I was 23. I don't fly too often anymore, but it's a blast. Although, I once almost crashed during a tricky landing in VA Beach because of wind shear. But any landing you can walk away from is successful, I suppose.

    2. Speaking of pilots, I once flew at Air Combat USA in Fullerton, CA. It was a full day of ground school and flight time during which we performed "dog fights" and maneuvers over the Pacific (I have it on film). My combat name is "Sparky." :)

    3. I'm afraid of the ocean because I've felt close to drowning too many times to enjoy it anymore. So, I stay close to shore and generally don't wander out to a level above my shoulders. I can swim, but not well; I should just take a couple refresher lessons, y'know?

    4. I'm a twin. That's not too unusual, but my brother and I have experienced incidents where we were thinking or feeling eerily similar to each other. And we've had remarkably similar health things happen. I don't know what it's like to be a "single" sibling, because I've always been paired up with him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good list, Sparky! I knew all this except your fear of the ocean. I don't love being in the ocean either. I get really nervous because I'm not a great swimmer either. We can take refresher lessons together!

      Delete
    2. So many pilot stories!
      1. I took flying lessons too! Flew over the old three rivers stadium. So cool.

      2. Went to grad school for occupational therapy

      3. Certified in scuba

      4. Meet Mensa qualifications but have no interest in joining

      Can't think of anything else lol

      Delete
  4. So the way I look at it is that I don't like things that naturally have less than 2 legs or more than 4. I mean, if you lose a leg, that is one thing, but otherwise. And you totally could be a pilot with those aviators :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your thinking regarding the number of legs. I feel the same way.

      Delete
  5. I used to want to be in the Air Force so I could fly fighter jets and then eventually become a commercial pilot. There's still time. Right? Add that to my list of "want to do's when I grow up..." Hahah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always time! At least I hope there is!

      Delete
  6. You probably would not want to visit my house. We have had hamsters (I kid you not) for the past 12 years or so. The kids liked having them, and I had hamsters for pets when I was a kid...so I have an affection for them most women cannot understand LOL The kids are "old" now and no longer have many interest, so I'm to sole hamster-keeper (we only have one hamster in residence now). True story ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason gerbils and hamsters don't bother me. It's mice and rats that make me want to puke and run away screaming.

      Delete
  7. I had wanted to be a singer for as long as I can remember… Four or five years old at least. My parents gently suggested that (1) I didn't have the temperament to be in "show businesses" and (2) it would be best to pursue a career that offered health benefits. Fast-forward 40 years, and now just before I turn 50, I've enrolled in private voice lessons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Lisa!! Do what makes you happy!! Thats so awesome!

      Delete
  8. Have you eaten a peanut butter & banana sandwich?! Those were supposedly one of Elvis' favorite foods. My dad used to make them all the time for us. Our favorite actually was grilling them like a grilled cheese--sourdough bread and a little butter on the outside. The PB & banana get a little warm and mushy, but really delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely!! I love a good banana and PB sandwich, though I haven't had one recently since I've been trying to limit gluten. But I would make them like grilled cheese too. So ooey and gooey good! And now I've seen the kitchen where those delights were made in Graceland!

      Delete
  9. Australia is definitely a place I'd love to visit! I'm not overly fond of insects but I can deal with most of them. Except bees.

    I think mice are cute (except in your own house).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something about mice that makes my skin crawl. The worst nightmare I've had has been where I get attacked by a swarm of mice. I blame this foreign film we watched as part of a film class I took in college which had a scene like that. Ugh!! So horrifying.

      Delete
  10. How cool you got to go to Australia. I feel the same way about England and Ireland when I visited there when I was 16 on a school trip. I'd love to travel back now that I am older to appreciate it a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to go to England and Ireland someday!!

      Delete
  11. Exchange to Australia SO FUN! I did my exchange to France. Hardest but best thing. Australia is still on my to travel list.

    ReplyDelete