Wednesday, December 28, 2016

My 2016 In Races!

Last week, I had the pleasure of singing the praises of all my clients and their fantastic year. All of their hard work inspires me to keep going, to keep fighting the fight. I learn something from each and every client's experience. It just means the world to me to be a part of their goals and dreams. This week, I'm looking back at my own year. It was definitely a year of ups and downs, but one that I'll always think of fondly. I conquered a huge goal and finally took care of some lingering health issues, both of which will hopefully lead to bigger things in 2017. Without further ado, here's looking at the races of 2016:



The San Diego 50 Mile



I started the year off with a bang and ran the San Diego 50 Mile. This was my second 50-miler and the first for my partner in crime, Vanessa. It was a tough race, but it was a great way to start off 2016!


The Los Angeles Marathon



This was a dream race come true for me! I have always wanted to run the LA Marathon but since it's always around my twin girls' birthday, I figured I'd have to wait until they were a little older to either want to come with me or not care. But when the 2016 Olympic Marathon Trials were set to run in LA, the marathon was moved to the same weekend: a month earlier on February 14th! That's all it took for me. Between the Trials, the marathon, seeing so many friends and time with my girl Smitha, and seeing Bob Harper on the course, it was a race weekend I'll never forget!




The San Diego Half Marathon



This is a race I've done every year of it's existence. In fact, it's the only race I've done every year and I'm hoping I can continue the streak for as many years as possible. This "legacy" status grants such perks as additional race shirts (years 2 and 3), a half-zip (year 4) and a jacket (this year for Year 5)! Can't wait to see what we get for running Year 6! 


Old West Trails 50K



This was my first year running this race. The Old West Trails 50K and 30K take place out in Borrego Springs Desert and it was quite hot and dry. It was a well-organized, fun race with a great post-race spread. It was also the first race I ran as an InkNBurn ambassador, so I was proud to represent my favorite gear. I'm so glad I had the chance to run it as they have since cancelled it. 


Ragnar SoCal



This was my second year participating in the Ragnar SoCal. Just 200-ish miles from Huntington Beach to San Diego. This year our team name was Hello...where's the finish line? and we had Adele shirts made. It was pretty cute. We were one member short in our van due to a last minute drop, so I ran the miles for my leg as well as the empty leg. I ran 31 miles over the course of the 24 hours. It was tiring but still so fun! Can't wait for next year! 


PCT 50 Miler



This was the second year running PCT 50 and it was so different from last year! It was quite a bit warmer and there wasn't snow on the ground this year! I also ran it with Vanessa, which was so fun! I did have some issues with dehydration and stuff towards the end of the race but overall, it was a good one. Looking forward to the three-peat in 2017!


The Strawberry Festival 5K



My family has participated in the Strawberry Festival over Memorial Day Weekend for the past 3 years. There is a 10K, a 5K, a kids' 1-mile and a kids' 1/4 mile. This year was super exciting because my son wanted to run the 5K with me. He has only done the kids 1-mile before and while this wasn't his first 5K, he hadn't run one in about 6 months. We had a blast and he did great! In fact, he then ran the kids' 1-mile with his friend. I'm so proud of the runner he's become!


Bulldog 50K



This was my first time running the Bulldog 50K in Malibu. We ran the Malibu Creek 50K last year, which has a similar course, but run in the opposite direction. I am not sure which one was more difficult! Bulldog had the heat to contend with, which wasn't as bad as it could have been, but wasn't fun either. All in all, it was a good training run and a fun time. 


Noble Canyon 50K



When I ran this race for the first time in 2014, I swore I'd never do it again. It is tough, hot and just brutal. But I ran it again in 2015 with my friend Jean because it's always fun to run with her. And then this year, it fit well with our training. Don't get me wrong, it's a well-organized, fun race with friends. But it's just brutal. Each year I've been able to shave some time off my time for this course, which is always a good thing. And when you run this race 5 times, you get a vest which I'm sure I'll try for some year. I'm so close now, I might as well go for it. Sheesh.


Cuyamaca 100K



This was the big one. The one I was gunning for all year. The Cuyamaca 100K. At this point, I was having some major health issues stemming from my pregnancy with the girls. Running was painful and I was scared I wouldn't get to the start line, let alone finish. But not only did I start, but I crossed that finish line and crossed this one off the list. Woo hoo!

And that's all for 2016. After Cuyamaca, I had surgery and I've taken the rest of the year really easily. I've gotten back into yoga, I've been cross training a lot more and have learned to love running again. I've slowly built my mileage back up and I'm looking forward to getting back into training. I have some big plans for 2017, so hopefully all that pain is behind me and it's full steam ahead. Stay tuned for some goal talk next week :) 

How did your 2016 shape up race-wise? What was your favorite memory? 

Now that you're done here, check out the Tuesday on the Run blog link up, hosted by Patty with My No-Guilt Life, Erika at MCM Mama Runs and Marcia at Marcia's Healthy Slice.



Also check out Susie from the Suzlyfe, Lora Marie from Crazy Running Girl, Debbie from Coach Debbie Runs and Rachel from Running on Happy, whom I'm linking up with for the Coaches' Corner blog link up.



I'm also linking up with Wild Workout Wednesday Link Up with Annmarie from The Fit Foodie Mama, Jen from Pretty Little Grub, Michelle at Fruition Fitness and Nicole at Fitful Focus. Check these badass women out!

26 comments:

  1. Since I just started following you, I didn't realize you ran so many ultras! How fun! I'm looking forward to following you in 2017.

    BTW, My friend Kristina (who has the FB page Live, Laugh, Love, Run) with whom I ran Big Sur, does a lot of the same races as you. She's also an INB ambassador. You've had to cross paths!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Kristina! I actually met her at Old West 50K where she was running her first 50K! She's great! I'm always amazed at how small the blogging works is! And I want to run Big Sur too!

      Delete
  2. Wow, those are some epic races you crossed off in 2016! Way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, congratulations on an awesome year of races! So many ultras...I have such admiration for your accomplishments! This year I ran my first marathon and I'm so proud that I was able to finish. I'm so looking forward to another great year in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janelle! And congrats to you on your marathon! I loved reading about your experience! Can't wait to see what's in store for 2017!

      Delete
  4. WOW! Amazing year you had running! Those races are no joke and also look beautiful! Congrats on your accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Michelle! They were definitely beautiful but also no joke!!

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to see what bad assery you will achieve in 2017! It will be the best year yet! I know it@!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang, your legs took over some serious miles this year! And to then have surgery and transition to a very different lifestyle--I've been there and that is just as much of an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Susie! The year definitely ended a lot differently from how it started and it was hard to be in recovery mode while everyone was getting into the big Fall racing season. But I am glad I finally took the time to take care of me.

      Delete
  7. You kicked some serious butt this year. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had such a kick ass year. I can't wait to see what's in store for you in 2017.

    And side note, I so miss being an INB ambassador! ROD tie dye is my fave. I can't wait until it's hot enough to wear it again outside. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel!! And I know what you mean about being an INB ambassador. I'm going to miss it when my stint is done.

      Delete
  9. You had some HUGE races!! Congrats on an awesome year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...that's a lot of ultra's!! The 100K blows my mind...I cannot comprehend running that kind of distance ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't comprehend the 100K even while I was running it!

      Delete
  11. Wow! What a great year. Congrats on those 50 milers and that 100k is quite impressive. I did a 50k once but can't imagine doing a 100k.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jenn, I've been following your adventures throughout 2016, and I know how hard you've worked to accomplish so much. You've set personal goals for 2017 that others can only dream of. Even though I'm on the right coast, you continue to inspire me every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Steve. They mean the world to me! Wanna be a part of my crew for the 100?? Please say yes!

      Delete
  13. Congrats on the ultras! I want to do one SO bad... maybe in 2017 ;)

    ReplyDelete